We believe that the earliest knowledge of, what became Beor Wilson Lloyd (and latterly BWL), dates back to 1798 when a legal partnership was carried on by a Mr Jenkins and a Mr Jeffreys. The partnership later continued as Jeffreys and Gascoigne, with Mr Gascoigne then practising alone. Later Mr Gascoigne took a junior partner called Mr Fry, who we can trace as having been admitted as a Solicitor in 1873.
Meanwhile, in May 1835, Richard White Beor who then lived at 2 Picton Place, Swansea, was admitted as a Solicitor and Attorney. After a brief partnership with Mr Edward Strick, the founder of Messrs Strick and Bellingham, he took his son Richard White Beor (the younger) into his practice when he was admitted a Solicitor in 1868.
In 1870, Mr Edward Henry Plant commenced practising, and by 1886 when Richard White Beor the elder died, his son amalgamated his practice with those of Mr Fry and Mr Plant. They first practised at 8 Temple Street, Swansea, and latterly at 12 Temple Street (on the corner with Castle Street).
On Mr Plant’s death his share in the practice was bought by Mr C J C (Charles) Wilson with the firm being re-named as Beor and Wilson. Richard White Beor (the younger) died in 1921 and in 1925 Mr Charles Wilson was joined by a Mr Arthur Lloyd. The firm then became Beor, Wilson and Lloyd.
In February 1941 the firm’s offices at 12 Temple Street were totally destroyed as a result of enemy action in the Second World War. The firm moved to “temporary” quarters at 10 The Kingsway; it remained there for 20 years!
In 1947, Mr Charles Wilson’s son, Francis (Jack) Wilson, was admitted a Solicitor and became a partner in 1950. He was followed 2 years later by Mr Arthur Lloyd’s son, John Arthur Lloyd.
The firm moved to its present offices at Calvert House in August 1961, and in 1970 acquired W G Christians and Son, an old and well respected family practice. In May 1988, Beor Wilson Lloyd acquired a leading litigation practice, T.B. Walker-Jones & Gardner together with their premises at 12 & 13 Calvert Terrace.
In 2006 the firm re-branded itself, becoming Beor Wilson Lloyd, (or BWL) with the branding being updated in 2013.
Whilst we are proud of our long history, we are a very modern and forward thinking legal business, providing a “classic” type service to all our clients with a robust, efficient, and cost conscious approach.